Set up App Inventor to test your app while you build (also called "Live Testing"). Check out the four options below:
- If you have an iPhone or Android phone (or tablet) and a Wi-Fi internet connection, choose Option One below (strongly recommended).
If you have a Chromebook, choose Option Two below.
If you do not have a phone or tablet, choose Option Three below.
If you have an Android device but do not have a Wi-Fi connection, choose Option Four below. (This can be tricky, especially on Windows. Use as a last resort.)
Option One - RECOMMENDED
Test your apps with an iPhone or Android phone and a Wi-Fi connection: Instructions
If you have a computer, a smartphone, and a
Wi-Fi connection, this is the easiest way to create and test your
apps. Simply install the MIT App Inventor companion app on your phone and test your apps through a Wi-Fi connection.
Test your apps with a Chromebook: Instructions
Many Chromebooks are capable of running Android apps. That lets you create, test, and run the finished app on the same device.
Don't have a device? Test apps with an emulator: Instructions
If you don't have a phone or tablet handy, you can still use App Inventor by installing the emulator software on your computer. Have a class of 30 students? Have them work primarily on emulators and share a few devices.
No Wi-Fi? Test apps with an Android device and a USB Cable: Instructions
Some firewalls within schools and organizations do not allow the type of Wi-Fi connection required for App Inventor. If Wi-Fi doesn't work for you, try USB (Android only).
Note: Internet Explorer is not supported. We recommend Chrome or Firefox.
Computer and operating system
- Macintosh (with Intel processor): Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
- Windows: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- GNU/Linux: Ubuntu 8 or higher, Debian 5 or higher (Note: GNU/Linux live development is only supported for WiFi connections between computer and smartphone/tablet.)
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or higher
(Note: If you are using Firefox with the NoScript extension, you’ll need to turn the extension off. See the note on the troubleshooting page.)
- Apple Safari 5.0 or higher
- Google Chrome 4.0 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer is not supported
Phone or Tablet (or use the on-screen emulator)
- iOS 9.0 or later on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- macOS 11 or higher on computers with Apple M1 Silicon
- Android Operating System 2.1 (“Eclair”) or higher for Android devices
Make Your First App
Back to Setup Menu