On March 8, 2021 we announced general availability of the MIT App Inventor companion app for iOS. This release of the App Inventor companion app supports live testing most functionality you’ve come to know and love about App Inventor. There are some caveats, however. This document summarizes what does and doesn’t work in the iOS version. This is a living document and will be updated as we continue to expand our iOS offering, so consider bookmarking and revisiting this page regularly for updates.
- All user interface components (omitting some newer features of particular components, see below)
- All layout components
- All media components
- All drawing and animation components
- All maps components except Navigation
- ContactPicker, EmailPicker, PhoneNumberPicker, and Sharing
- All storage components
- Activity starter recognizes some common intents and dispatches to iOS equivalents
- Web component (except for newer blocks related to dictionaries)
- Packaging apps (.ipa files) for distribution to friends/family or on the App Store - This functionality is currently in a closed beta
- Clickable images
- Some WebViewer methods and events (e.g., ErrorOccurred)
- Navigation component
- Near Field communication (iOS 14 and later)
- Twitter component
- LEGO Mindstorms EV3
- BluetoothLE support
- IOT extension support (e.g., micro:bit)
- AI extension support (e.g., Look, PersonalImageClassifier)
What Won’t Work
- The PhoneCall component’s MakePhoneCallDirect and Texting component functionality other than SendMessage do not work due to privacy and security restrictions enforced by iOS.
- iOS devices lack certain sensors, such as the Hygrometer, Thermometer and Barometer, so while these will be implemented they will not return data. You should consider updating your code to check the Available property of these sensors if you’re working on a cross-platform app.
- LEGO Mindstorms NXT cannot be supported.
- Extensions written for App Inventor on Android are not supported.
For an even more fine grained breakdown, please see doesappinventorrunonios.com.