Announcing the newest App Inventor release!
Version 129 is now live. In addition to a few bug fixes and minor User Interface improvements, here are the exciting new features:
- Resize-able and Full Screen Video support. You can now resize an existing Video Player component from the blocks editor. In Android 2.0+ you can set a Video Player to use the entire phone's screen. The key will restore it to its original size. The VideoWall tutorial is a good place to start to check this out!
- Horizontal and Vertical Arrangements can now align their contents. Arrangements and Screens can now align their contents along Left, Right, Center, Top and Bottom edges.
NOTE: These settings have no effect if the arrangement size is set to automatic. The vertical setting has no effect if the screen is scrollable.
- Canvas and Sprite Improvements. The new events "Flung", "TouchUP" and "TouchDown" have been added to Sprites and Canvases.
- Flung: When a user touches a Sprite and then quickly swipes their finger in some direction, a "Flung" event is issued for the Sprite which gives the direction and speed of the swipe. This can be used to determine the direction and relative speed to move a Sprite. Canvases also receive a Flung event so a user can perform the swiping (Fling) motion anywhere on a Canvas and the MIT App Inventor programmer can decide how to handle it.
- TouchDown/TouchUp: When a user places their finger on a Sprite, a TouchDown event is now triggered. When they lift their finger a TouchUP event is triggered. These events are in addition to the existing "Touched" event.
- New screen orientation settings: (1) User (let's the app's user select portrait or landscape; and (2) Sensor (auto-rotates as the phone rotates)
Tutorials corresponding to these new features are coming soon so stay tuned. H*app*y Inventing!